What follows is a list of my go-to gear for daily use.
– Beyerdynamic DT 880 (250 Ohms): These are my reference headphones for all things audio, the DT 880 are brutal in terms of detail retrieval, their treble is a love or hate it kind of thing. It’s also an old reference for enthusiasts who often compare them to other headphones in the same or higher their price range.
– Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro: The 990 Pro are my fun headphones, with a V-Shaped frequency response these are nice references for V-Shaped gear. For most part I use them for background music when I’m doing something on my computer.
The DT 990 are still a great and cheap way to bring new people to the audiophile ranks.
– Yinyoo HQ5: Clear mids and lots of treble detail make this balanced armature in-ear my daily driver, bass wise it’s a solid but discrete performer.
– Lake People G103-S: The G103 is my reference headphone amplifier. Might be cheap by today standards but drives the Beyerdynamics like no other.
– Creative Labs E5: A great portable DAC that I use to drive my DT 990 and also test in-ears. Sadly its very underrated by the community, because it’s not made by an audiophile niche brand.
– Sony Walkman NW-A45: The impressive entry-level DAP/DAC from Sony. My go-to portable player for daily commutes and also for testing in-ears. My model is unlocked, so it’s not limited by the European hearing safety laws.
– Swissonic CDMP 1 V2.0 CD Player: A cheap but solid CD player which I often pair with the Lake People G103.
– Sony Xperia L1 Smartphone: Again a simple smartphone I use daily for both my networking and reviewing needs, any hard to drive in-ear will be easy to spot because the L1 like most Xperia smartphones has a low power output to comply with the European hearing safety laws.
10 Oct 2018 Some minor corrections.
26 Oct 2018 Added a link to my Yinyoo HQ5 review.